BreakingKZRG NewsLatest NewsLocal InterestsNews Joplin MOTrending

Boil water order for parts of Cherokee County Kansas

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment issuing a water boil order for a part of District 3 Rural Water District in Cherokee County. 

The order was issued Thursday morning because of a break in a connector between two water lines causing a loss in pressure in the system.  .

The full order is below.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has issued a boil water advisory for a portion of Cherokee County Rural Water District #3 public water supply system located in Cherokee County. This advisory applies to customers located within the area South of SW Boston Mills Road to US Highway 166, between SW 10 Street on the East and SW 90th Street on the West.

Customers should observe the following precautions until further notice: 

  • Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation or use bottled water.  
  • Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.  
  • If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.  
  • Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.  
  • Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.  

The advisory took effect on November 2 and will remain in effect until the conditions that placed the system at risk of bacterial contamination are resolved. KDHE officials issued the advisory because of a connector break between a 3″ and 4″ waterline  resulting in a loss of pressure in the distribution system.  Failure to maintain adequate pressure may result in a loss of chlorine residuals and bacterial contamination.

Regardless of whether the public water supplier or Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) announced a boil water advisory, only KDHE can issue the rescind order following testing at a certified laboratory. 

For consumer questions, please contact the water system at 620-429-5151, or KDHE at 785-296-5514. For consumer information please visit KDHE’s PWS Consumer Information webpage:   

Restaurants and other food establishments that have questions about the impact of the boil water advisory on their business can contact the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s food safety & lodging program at or call 785-564-6767. 

Show More
Back to top button