Lawrence County – Contractor crews are set to CLOSE the Missouri Route 174 bridge over I-44 east of Mt. Vernon for up to 100 days the week of June 13 to replace the bridge’s superstructure, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.
Crews will demolish the existing bridge deck/driving surface and beams, leaving the piers and foundation in place to be re-used in the new structure. In addition, the contractor will add new barrier walls, guardrail at the ends of the bridge, fiber reinforced polymer wraps on the existing piers for added strength and longevity, an upgraded drainage system and new permanent striping.
The bridge also will be raised to meet the current interstate clearance requirement of 16 feet six inches and widened to accommodate two 12-foot-wide lanes with two foot wide shoulders.
- All lanes of Route 174 will be CLOSED over I-44 for up to 100 days
- Drivers will have access to driveways and entrances on either end of the bridge, but will not be able to drive through the work zone
- All on- and off-ramps at Exit 49 will remain OPEN
- Drivers will be directed along a signed detour:
- Westbound Route 174 detoured east along I-44 to Lawrence County Route Z/O (Exit 58) near Halltown, then westbound on I-44 to westbound Route 174
- Eastbound Route 174 detoured west along I-44 to Missouri Route 39 (Exit 46) near Mt. Vernon, then eastbound on I-44 to Route 174
- Short nightly lane closures can be expected along I-44 throughout the duration of the closure
- Signs and message boards will alert drivers approaching the work zone
- Drivers should consider alternate routes during the project
- Check MoDOT’s Traveler Information Map for road closings/traffic impacts
Weather and/or construction delays could alter the work schedule.
This bridge was built in 1964 as one of the bridges built during the original construction of I-44 through Lawrence County. Approximately 3,000 vehicles cross the bridge daily.
All work in 2022 will be in Lawrence County, where crews will replace five (5) bridges and rehabilitate four (4) others.
More information about this project can be found on the project website – I-44 Corridor Bridge Bundle.
- Prime Contractor – The ESS Team
- Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc. – Columbia
- Parsons Transportation Group, Inc. – St. Louis
- Total Project Cost: $43.2 million
- Contract Completion Date: September 30, 2024
The ESS Team is a partnership of engineering and construction firms that will design and construct the project with oversight by MoDOT and the Federal Highway Administration.