The original “Andy Griffith Show” featured the character Ernest T. Bass, a wild hillbilly who frequently vandalized people’s property by throwing rocks through their windows.
In real life, the Independence Kansas police are investigating a string of property damage involving one or more subjects who, like Ernest T. Bass, have been throwing rocks, bricks or pieces of asphalt through residents’ windows in the late evening to early morning hours.
Many of the incidents occurred near Independence High School.
Police are asking people who live near the locations to review their surveillance cameras and call police if they think they have footage that may help the case.
Those who witnessed one of these events and have not been interviewed are asked to contact the police at (620) 332-1700 and leave contact information along with the date, time, and location of the incident.
“We need our community’s help in identifying and stopping these suspects as the severity of damage appears to be increasing”, Police Chief Jerry Harrison said.
Locations, times and dates: :
- 1500 Block of Irving after 9 pm on 4-18-22
- 900 Block of N Pennsylvania Ave. early morning hours 4-19-22
- 200 Block of Hackberry within a few days prior to 4-19-22
- 600 Block of N Park Blvd. before 2 am 4-21-22
- 600 Block of E Myrtle before 8:30 pm 4-22-22
- 1600 Block of N 10th 2:24 am 4-23-22
- 1500 Block of N 10th 1:46 am 2-28-22
- 1000 Block of N 10th 2:20 am 5-12-22
- 1500 Block of Irving 8:48 pm 5-17-22
- 300 Block of S 12th 8:15 pm 5-18-22