Lawrence County – The Lawrence County Route 37 bridge over Dry Branch near Pierce City will be CLOSED for up to 90 days beginning the week of May 23, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.
Contractor crews will replace the old bridge with a new 28 foot wide structure which is slightly wider than the current bridge. The original bridge was built in 1960 and is in deteriorating condition. Approximately 3,300 vehicles cross the bridge daily.
This will have some impact on traffic which will include:
- All lanes of Route 37 CLOSED at the bridge for up to 90 days
- Drivers will have access to entrances and driveways at either end of the bridge but will not be able to travel through the work zone
- Drivers will be directed to a signed detour using Missouri Routes 97, 60 & 37
- Drivers are urged to find alternate routes around the work zone
- Check MoDOT’s Traveler Information Map for road closings/traffic impacts
This work is part of a three-year project to improve 25 bridges within 15 miles of I-44 across the Southwest District. Of the 25 bridges in the project, known as the I-44 Corridor Bridge Bundle, seven are mainline I-44 bridges, five are overpass bridges and the remaining bridges are on adjacent routes over various features. Sixteen bridges will be replaced and nine bridges will receive major rehabilitation work. All work in 2022 will be in Lawrence County, where crews will replace five bridges and rehabilitate four others. More information about this project can be found on the project website – I-44 Corridor Bridge Bundle.
The total project cost is estimated at $43.2 million and is scheduled to be completed by September of 2024.