BreakingKZRG NewsLatest NewsLocal InterestsNews Joplin MONewstalk KZRGTrending

Man convicted of physically abusing infant

A federal jury found a Colcord, Oklahoma man guilty Wednesday for shaking a 4-month-old infant while she was in his care. The child abuse incident led to the girl’s hospitalization several days later.

Lucas Jack Woods, 21, of Colcord, was convicted of child abuse in Indian Country.

On Aug. 29, 2021, Woods was caring for the child when he began sending panicked messages via Snapchat to the girl’s mother while she was at work. The messages indicated that he was struggling to care for the child and was growing frustrated and desperate, stating at 6:03 a.m. “I can’t do this taking care of [child’s name] by myself…She’s not stopped since you left.”

At 6:36 am, he messaged, “Baby I need you.” Sixteen minutes later, he messaged that the child had finally fallen asleep.

At some point during the conversation, prosecutors said that Woods shook the child in frustration, injuring her. Over the next two days, the child became increasingly ill, which included vomiting and seizures.

The victim was then taken to the hospital in Grove then flown to OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City for emergency pediatric treatment for a brain bleed. The infant was placed on a ventilator and was near death at times during her treatment. Medical tests revealed extensive retinal hemorrhages with subdural hematoma consistent with physical abuse, specifically abusive head trauma. A bruise described as “a squeeze mark” was also found on the child’s right upper arm.

Physicians stated the injuries could not be plausibly explained by an accidental injury or other conditions. The infant was eventually discharged but continues to be treated for lasting injuries due to the abuse.

During an initial interview with FBI agents, Woods said he could not remember doing anything to the child but was having a mental health episode that day and was scared he could have harmed her. At a later interview on Nov. 8, 2021, Woods was re-interviewed and confessed to shaking the infant sometime while he was messaging the child’s mother on Aug. 29.

He explained that he had taken his frustration out on the child and that he was ashamed. He told agents he could not face the reality of what he had done.

Following his conviction at trial, Woods was remanded into the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

The FBI, Delaware County Sheriff’s Office, and Grove Police Department conducted the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Adam C. Bailey and Edward Snow are prosecuting the case.

Show More
Back to top button