A section of heavily trafficked road between Joplin and Pittsburg is now open. The new roundabout at the intersection of Highway 171 and Highway 96 has opened three weeks early. Read the full press release below:
Where: Missouri Routes 171/96 and eastbound Jasper County Route YY in Carl Junction
When: 2 p.m. Wednesday, November 24
What: Contractor crews have completed work and the roundabout at routes 171/96/YY is OPEN to traffic. Jasper County Route YY is open only in the eastbound direction. Westbound Route YY is closed at the roundabout due to safety reasons and will be opened at a later date. Drivers may encounter periodic lane closures as contractor crews wrap up minor work and clean up.
- Roundabout at Missouri Route 171, Missouri Route 96 and eastbound Jasper County Route YY is OPEN
- Jasper County Route YY is CLOSED to westbound traffic at the roundabout
- Drivers on Route 171 and Route 96 cannot turn west onto Route YY
- Drivers may encounter periodic lane closures
- Check MoDOT’s Traveler Information Map for road closings/traffic impacts
Details: This project began in June to relocate the intersection at Missouri Route 171/Route 96 and Jasper County Route YY to the east away from the Kansas City Southern railroad tracks and convert the intersection to a multi-lane roundabout. In addition, an approximately 26-mile stretch of Route 171 between the Missouri/Kansas state line and I-49 was resurfaced.