Latest NewsNews Joplin MOTrending

MO Taking Unclaimed Property From Child Support Evaders

If you try to skip out on paying child support, Missouri has a new way to get that money. State Treasurer Scott Fitzpatrick says his office is now checking that list of people against those that have unclaimed property. If there’s a match, the money they could have claimed goes to child services to pay the owed parent…

“We’re not taking just anybody’s unclaimed property and paying past due child support. It’s only if somebody who is behind on child support themselves also has unclaimed property- we’re taking their unclaimed property.”

The new system has already used $2 million dollars in unclaimed property for more than 18,000 overdue child support cases. In one case, more than $28,000 was collected from a parent with overdue child support.

Show More
Back to top button